Thursday, December 8, 2011

How I fell in love with OT!

I started at Spalding University in Louisville, KY June of this year as a Pre-OT student. I have always wanted to be in the medical field. Due to some choices I made when I was younger, I was not motivated enough to attend school. When I was about 18 I decided that I wanted to be a nurse. As I became older, I realized that blood and needles is not my thing. I almost pass out when I see needles. I become a teen mother at the age of 19, so my main priority was to support my son.

Four years later I gave birth to twins (boy/girl). My daughter was breech and her left hip was completely dislocated. So she was placed in a harness from 2 weeks to about 4 months to form her hip socket. As time passed, she was not developing according to her milestones. When she was about 9 months, she was not sitting up. At this time the doctor recommended a DT and a PT. She still was not advancing, so we opted to add an OT and ST to my daughter’s regimen. All of the therapists were amazing; however the OT and PT were the two that stood out to me in my daughters improving abilities. I loved how the PT stretch her muscles, pushed her limits and strengthen her. She helped Dyimand, my daughter, get to where she needed to be and made way for the OT.

The OT helped Dyimand fine tune those muscles that she strengthened, learn textures in her hands and mouth, put shapes together, build things, bounce on balls, balance, and more. I loved how the OT helped Dyimand develop skills that she needed to function and enjoy life, and it was an added bonus that my daughter loved it when the OT came. Of course when the PT came, Dyimand would cry because she had to work and work hard. I found that too funny, but that showed me that the PT was doing her job. After being introduced to the therapy field, I knew that this is the field where I needed to be. Being an OT would allow me to helping people use and learn how to "play" and enjoy life.

That was when I fell in love with OT and I am ever grateful what therapy has done for my daughter. Today Dyimand is an active 5 yr. old. She is currently in a competitive cheer leader and she loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment